Things to do with your Pet in Cape CoralDogs are more than just pets...they're family! They love a good vacation as much as the rest of us. Bring your four-legged friend along, settle into the comfort of one of our pet-friendly Cape Coral vacation rentals and explore with us all the pet-friendly activities we have to offer.
Your pets are welcome in our Cape Coral vacation homes, however, dogs are not allowed in many areas around our city. We have done your homework for you and found the best pet-friendly activities in Cape Coral and the surrounding areas of Fort Myers, Estero and Sanibel Island, only 15 miles away, a short distance to travel for a fun day with your pet. Whether you are looking for a play date for your pet at a dog park, an escape into nature at a state park or to explore the shops and feast on fine cuisine, we have found the best pet-friendly attractions for you.
- Wagging Tails Dog Park in Cape Coral's Rotary Park is a fun place to take your dog, with two separate fenced areas for big and small dogs. The park is only open for registered dogs, so make sure your pet is registered and free to play.
- The Pooch Park at Judd Park and Barkingham Dog Park at Caloosahatchee Creeks Preserve in North Fort Myers both have fenced areas for large and small dogs. Your leashed dog is also welcome on the 6-mile trail at John Yarborough Linear Park. Another North Fort Myers favorite is the Prairie Pines Preserve with 20 miles of hiking and equestrian trails and a special path perfect for your leashed pet.
- The spacious Woof-A-Hatchee Dog Park at Wa-Ke Hatchee Park in Fort Myers has ample space for your dog to run, play and make new friends with a separate space for puppies and shy dogs.
- Only 15 miles from Cape Coral is the K9 Corral Dog Park of Estero, a shady park with 2 acres of fenced off areas for small and large dogs with water fountains and plenty of space to play.
- J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge – The largest undeveloped mangrove ecosystem in the nation, this refuge is a haven for nature lovers and bird watchers. Your leashed four-legged friend is welcome on Wildlife Drive, Indigo Trail and the Bailey Tract. Stroll the boardwalk on Wildlife Drive surrounded by impressive birdlife as well as racoons, alligators and the odd bobcat, or head to the trails of Bailey Tract, an interior wetland dominated by freshwater plants and wildlife. The Indigo Trail is accessed from Wildlife Drive, a trail made from crushed sea shells.
- Four Mile Cove Ecological Preserve – Set on the banks of the Caloosahatchee River and home to Cape Coral’s most beautiful and majestic wetlands, the walking trail through mangroves and marshes welcomes your leashed pets.
- Koreshan State Park, Estero – Your leashed pet is welcome to join you in exploring the gardens and buildings of the Koreshan State Park in nearby Estero.
- Dogs love to bark at the waves and chase seagulls, and the perfect day out with your pet is a beach day. Sadly, the beaches of Cape Coral are not pet friendly, however, only a short drive will bring you to some of Southwest Florida’s best pet-friendly beaches. Dogs are allowed on Fort Myers and Sanibel beaches as long as they are leashed. Look for the low tide when Fort Myers Dog Beach near Lovers Key opens up with wide sands perfect for throwing a stick and swimming with your best friend. Escape to Picnic Island; You will need a boat, but this is the perfect hideaway to play and swim with your pet. The Causeway Islands link Sanibel Island to the mainland and have two great beaches where your leashed pets are welcome.
- Doggy Heaven has opened up at the Shell Factory in North Fort Myers. This is dog heaven with a great agility course, doggy fountain and even Doggy Church on Sunday. Enjoy a meal at the pet-friendly Swamp Bar or head to the outdoor DogBones Café for a treat for your pooch. A great family and pet-friendly day out in sunny Southwest Florida.
- Go shopping for your pet at The Beach Dog in Cape Coral, a natural and holistic pet store with a delicious menu of dog foods! The perfect place to shop for your pooch in town.
- For more great shopping, the Coconut Point Mall in Estero is pet-friendly with doggie water fountains, several acres of lakes, great pet-friendly restaurants and a fun “Dog’s Night Out” every Thursday. The open-air Bell Tower Shops in Fort Myers is also dog-friendly. With lush gardens, splashing fountains and covered walkways, this is another great place to shop with your best friend.
- On the days you are going places that your best friend can’t join, Dog Days Delight offers everything for your pooch to be happy. A cage-free pet facility with playtime and grooming for short- and long-term boarding. Your pooch won’t even know you’re missing!
Pet-Friendly Cape Coral Restaurants
We have dug up some of the best places to eat in town with an added bonus – your best friend gets to be by your side, relaxing and cooling off with a cold water bowl! Here are our suggestions:
- Anthony’s on the BLVD – Catch live gigs at this gem of a spot voted “Best Restaurant with Entertainment in Cape Coral” for five years. Tel: 239-772-5900
- Bubbas RoadHouse - You and your dog can enjoy drinks on the patio of Bubba’s RoadHouse and Saloon. Tel: 239-282-5520
- Ceno’s Grille – A locals’ favorite to dine al fresco with your dog, and the place to go for Greek and Italian cuisine. Tel: 239-549-2366
- Fathoms @ Cape Harbor – Water views, tasty food and live entertainment overlooking the river. Enjoy what is said to be the best pizza in town on the outdoor patio with your best friend at your side. Tel: 239-542-0123
- First Round Draft Sports Bar & Grill – Watch the game on the pet-friendly patio of this waterfront drinking hole with great bar food and a laid back atmosphere. Tel: 239-673-9010
- Ford’s Garage – Grab a burger on the patio of this 1920’s era, auto-themed, burger and beer joint. Everyone is welcome here. Tel: 239-540-3673
- Matanzas Inn, Fort Myers Beach – A hidden secret offering stunning views of the bay with an upper and lower deck overlooking the water. Listen to live music with your pooch at your feet. Tel: 239-463-3838
- Nervous Nellies, Fort Myers Beach – The expansive waterfront patio is the place to be to enjoy dinner, drinks and live music. Tel: 239-463-8077
- New England Moorings – Your pup can savor a complimentary “Barkarita” on the oversized patio while you relax and unwind in this laid back, casual restaurant. Tel: 239-851-9141
- Parrot Key, Fort Myers Beach – You feel like you have stepped into Key West in this open air restaurant with spectacular views of Matanzas Harbor. Live entertainment seven days a week is even more reason to take your pooch to this popular waterfront spot. Tel: 239-463-3257
- Rumrunners – Find your spot on the outdoor patio and enjoy a perfect sun sets with spectacular views over the water. Tel: 239-542-0200
- Slate’s – For the finest and freshest Cajun food in town, Slate’s is the place to go with your dog alongside. Tel: 239-540-6800
- Stevie Tomato’s Sports Grill – Catch the game, a couple of pints and Happy Hour while you chow down on ribs and wings with your pet at this family-friendly sports grill. Tel: 239-573-7877
- Terra Nostra, Fort Myers Beach – This authentic Italian restaurant, serving everything Italian, welcomes small, well-behaved dogs on the outdoor patio. Tel: 239-765-6888
- The Connection Bar & Grill, Fort Myers – A downtown favorite with a casual atmosphere and great French food. Dogs are always welcome. Tel: 239-332-4443
- The Fish House, Fort Myers Beach – Soak up the sun with your pet on the patio of this funky, colorful seafood restaurant. Tel: 239-765-6766
- The Monkey Bar - Bring your dog and enjoy a great steak dinner and live music in the outside bar. Tel: 239-549-8800
- Time to Eat - There are a couple of outdoor tables to accommodate Fido while you enjoy the finest Mediterranean food and homemade desserts. Tel: 239-573-6360
- When you are ready for something sweet or need cooling off, it’s time for ice-cream! End your trip to the dog park with a refreshing ice cream at Ice Sssscreamin or Dairy Queen.
Pet-Friendly Cape Coral Area Events
- It’s Dogs Night Out every Thursday at the Coconut Point Mall in Estero!
- Every second Friday from 6 to 8pm, take your pooch to Bell Tower Shops in Fort Myers for Yappy Hour! Enjoy refreshment and live music at your choice of 8 pet friendly restaurants. Meet adoptable pets looking for a home. You never know…you may go home with a new friend!
- Build and race your own boat at the Cardboard Boat Regatta, a fun and often hilarious event held in April at Four Freedoms Park. This is a great pet-friendly event, so bring along your four-legged friends to compete in the special doggy jumping and swimming events. All dogs are welcome.
- Start your Independence Day the right way - saluting the nation at the pet-friendly Great American Picnic at Cape Harbour. Dress up your pet and enter the “Best Patriotic Pet Contest.” You may leave a winner.
- Jaycee Park is a Cape Coral favorite, with eight acres of waterfront, picnic areas, a walking path and peaceful river view. Come along to Peace Day in the Park in September, a pet-friendly community event to think peace, cultivate peace and help it grow.
- August brings the "Just for Fun" local dog show at Rotary Park. Any size dog can participate in 12 categories for awards and prizes. It's a lot of fun for both pets and their owners, and there are vendors selling food and dog-related items.